Iditarod 2014: "Aliy Cam" No Snow

There was enough snow to manage an Iditarod dog team through the Willow area, along the Susitna River and up into the Alaska Range Mountains during the race. However, north and west of Rainy Pass, the snow disappeared. The Iditarod Trail Crew had shown photos and videos of the trail -- with snow -- during the Pre Race Mushers Meeting. What I didn't realize is that the two days of rain and very warm temperatures that we had in Anchorage during and just before the race start also brought rain and a complete melt off to much of the trail between Rainy Pass and Nikolai. I guess that I was somewhat naive to be so surprised by the horrible and dangerous trail conditions.

I was warned by the Rainy Pass race judge that trail conditions coming into the Rohn Checkpoint might be bad. He told me that Kelly Maxiner, the first musher to reach Rohn (six hours before I arrived), had broken his sled. I didn't take that information too seriously. I thought, "People break sleds all the time."

I managed to get through the Dalzell Gorge and to the Rohn Checkpoint in one piece. That was no small feat. Therefore, I stuck to my plan and continued down the trail to camp farther along. Martin Buser was the only team to leave the Rohn Checkpoint ahead of me. Therefore, there was no "real" information about snow conditions further up the trail. I asked the folks in Rohn if they knew anything and someone said that they heard that the snow improved after Egypt Mountain or about 20 miles. I really watched for Egypt Mountain as I hung on for dear life. After we passed it… the snow conditions did not improve.



This video shows very little of the truly challenging sections of the trail. I do not use an attached "Go Pro" camera to film my videos. I have always used a hand held camcorder (personal preference, I guess.) So, I obviously, could not film and mush in these conditions simultaneously. I do recommend Jeff's helmet cam video that was published on ADN during the race. I believe his video footage is from before the Rohn Checkpoint. It is a wild ride and something I could not capture on my race without a major casualty.



Mushing an Iditarod dog team from the top of Rainy Pass to Nikoali this year was breathtaking - and not in the traditional "Oh this is so pretty" kind of way. I clung so tightly to my sled's handle bar that my arms cramped. I was so happy to be physically fit because the trail was ridiculous. But, to be honest, looking back, I think that my dog mushing skills and physical fitness was only a small part of my success. I also very much believe that my good luck can not be overstated.